GI-MAP® Fundamentals and Application is a CE-accredited educational course from Diagnostic Solutions Laboratory (DSL) and created for the American Nutrition Association® (ANA®).
Practitioners who complete this course and pass the accompanying quizzes will earn 6 continuing education credits. (See below.)
This course teaches practitioners the skills needed to effectively interpret comprehensive stool test results and find root causes of gastrointestinal and extraintestinal symptoms stemming from dysfunctional gut health.
Completing this course will prepare you to implement the GI-MAP into your practice. You’ll be equipped to use your nutritional expertise to treat patients using stool testing as a diagnostic tool. (Scroll to the bottom of this page for GI-MAP ordering details.)
This course is designed to be completed within 10 weeks and is taught by the DSL Education Team. They will present clinically-impactful information using the latest research and case studies to review key areas of gut dysfunction, how they present in clinical practice, and how they impact patient health. Upon course completion, you’ll have the tools needed to identify and treat food sensitivities, autoimmunity, dysbiosis, H. pylori, and much more.*
* Treatment recommendations included in the GI-MAP Fundamentals and Application course are not from American Nutrition Association or Diagnostic Solutions Laboratory. Suggestions from the course instructors are based on their experience using the GI-MAP in clinical practice.
The Board for Certification of Nutrition Specialists℠ , the certifying arm of the American Nutrition Association® (ANA®), designates this activity for a maximum of 6 continuing education credits for the Certified Nutrition Specialist®.
After completing this training program, participants should be able to:
- Apply and incorporate advanced stool testing into their
- Use the GI-MAP to find root causes of symptoms ranging from bloating and constipation to acne and depression
- Interpret a GI-MAP test and personalize protocols that improve and optimize patient health
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease Case Study with Dr. Amy Rolfsen (31:33)
- H pylori Case Study with Dr. Amy Rolfsen (28:45)
- Extraintestinal Symptoms Case Study with Dr. Amy Rolfsen (39:01)
- SIBO IBS and Food Sensitivities Case Study with Dr. Amy Rolfsen (33:21)
- The GI Microbiome and Autoimmunity with Dr. David Brady (40:58)
About the GI-MAP Test:
The Gastrointestinal Microbial Assay Plus (GI-MAP) is an innovative clinical tool that measures gastrointestinal microbiota DNA from a single stool sample with state of the art, quantitative polymerase chain reaction (qPCR) technology. It is the leading functional stool test and helps practitioners practice personalized, root-cause medicine that optimizes patient outcomes.
Please note that the GI-MAP report has been updated to include visual cues not shown in this course; however, the educational content remains applicable for test interpretation.
Additional markers including Roseburia spp., Desulfovibrio spp., and Eosinophil Activated Protein (EPX/EDN), have also been added to the test since this course was created.
Please scroll to the bottom of the page to learn how to order the GI-MAP.
- 100% online, and self-paced
- Approximate total learning time: Less than 10 hours for required course materials and quizzes
- Course completion counts towards 6 CE hours
- This course was created by Diagnostic Solutions Laboratory and has been reviewed by the American Nutrition Association
Diagnostic Solutions Laboratory administers and manages this course. Any questions can be submitted directly to DSL by clicking on your profile icon and selecting the Contact option.
This program consists of eleven educational video modules, each followed by a short multiple-choice quiz.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTORS
David M. Brady, ND, DC, CCN, DACBN, IFMCP, FACN
Chief Medical Officer
Dr. David M. Brady has almost 30-years of experience as an integrative medicine practitioner and over 25 years in health sciences academia. He is a licensed naturopathic medical physician in Connecticut and Vermont, is board certified in functional medicine and clinical nutrition, a fellow of the American College of Nutrition, and completed his initial clinical training as a doctor of chiropractic. He is the Chief Medical Officer for Diagnostic Solutions Labs, LLC and Designs for Health, Inc. and is also the former long-time vice president of the Division of Health Sciences and director of the Human Nutrition Institute at the University of Bridgeport in Connecticut, where he continues to serve as an associate professor of
clinical sciences. …
Amy Rolfsen, ND
Naturopathic Doctor & Medical Educator
Dr. Amy Rolfsen is a naturopathic physician with clinical expertise in women’s health, paediatrics and gastrointestinal health. In addition to her private practice, Dr. Rolfsen is a medical educator and public speaker in the areas of gut microbiome, GI physiology and botanical medicine.
Tom Fabian, PhD, CNTP
Educator, Translational Scientist
Dr. Fabian is a leading expert on the role of the microbiome in health, immune function, chronic disease, and aging. As a translational scientist, his primary focus is on the clinical application of microbiome research in the integrative and functional medicine space. He received his PhD in molecular biology from the University of Colorado, Boulder, and has worked as a biomedical researcher in the biotechnology industry, and more recently, as a consultant in the microbiome testing field. Currently, Dr. Fabian serves a consultant and science advisor with Diagnostic Solutions Laboratory, and he is also a Science Advisory Board member with Designs for Health. In addition, he is certified as a Nutrition Therapy Practitioner by the Nutrition Therapy Institute in Denver.
Natalie Groenewoud, ND
Naturopathic Doctor & Medical Educator
Naturopathic Doctor, focusing on women’s health and digestive wellness. founder and practitioner at Aumakua Integrative Wellness Clinic. When not seeing patients, she consults with practitioners all over North America on the gastrointestinal microbiome, and lectures on its importance for lasting, whole-body health.
ORDERING THE GI-MAP TEST
Practitioners with the degree types listed below can open an account to begin ordering from Diagnostic Solutions Laboratory.
Practitioners with other degree types should contact DSL Customer Service via email at [email protected] with the subject line: ANA Ordering Options, or call 877-485-5336 for alternate ordering instructions.
- CNS (Certified Nutrition Specialist)
- DAOM (Doctor of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine)
- DC (Doctor Chiropractic)
- DDS (Doctor of Dental Surgery)
- DMD (Doctor of Dental Medicine)
- DN (Doctor of Nursing)
- DNM (Doctor of Natural Medicine)
- DO (Doctor of Osteopathy) (Allowed to order through Medicare)
- DOM (Doctor of Oriental Medicine)
- DPM (Doctor of Podiatric Medicine)
- FNP-BC (Family Nurse Practitioner - Board Certified)
- LAC (Licensed Acupuncturist)
- LDN (Licensed Dietitian Nutritionist)
- MAOM (Master of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine)
- MD (Medical Doctor) (Allowed to order through Medicare)
- MPH (Master of Public Health)
- ND (Doctor of Naturopathy)
- NMD (Naturopathic Medical Doctor)
- NP (Nurse Practitioner) (Allowed to order through Medicare)
- PA (Physician’s Assistant) (Allowed to order through Medicare)
- PA-C (Physician’s Assistant Certified)
- PhD (Doctor of Philosophy)
- RDN (Registered Dietitian Nutritionist)
- RPH (Registered Pharmacist)
- Pharm D. (Doctor of Pharmacy)